Monday, November 7, 2011

Empowered Dentistry

Some of what I talk about won't be for everyone. Some of it won't end up being for me, either! Some of it is only an experiment.

On the topic of dental care let me start by saying I don't have dental insurance. Some financial experts have advised that it's not worth purchasing on your own and I am not offered it through work. I could swing a cleaning from time to time but I'm not sure I could afford any fillings or extractions if they became necessary. Also, I hate to think of dentists weakening my teeth further with drills and fillings and I'm not sure I want to have them remove my wisdom teeth which they will try and talk me into. I figure that my body went through all the trouble of growing these wonderful teeth for me in case I ever needed them. I shouldn't just discard them! They seem to be doing just fine.

So, what to do? I want to be able to take care of my teeth myself. I want to be free from needing an expert. This will give me more financial freedom as well as empower me to take control of my own health and well being as well as enable me to teach these skills to my children.

My first experiment is called "oil pulling." Basically, every morning before you even drink water, take one tablespoon of oil into your mouth. Swish it around, pulling it through your teeth, for 15-20 minutes before spitting it out. I use organic canola oil. You can really use any oil, though I recommend only organic, expeller pressed because the point is to remove, not introduce, toxins. Supposedly, this is supposed to increase gum health and pull toxins through your membranes. It is also supposed to keep your teeth healthier and breath more pleasant.

Today is only day two for me. It's not exactly fun. The oil doesn't taste that great. However, one rough spot that I was worried about is already smoother! I don't know if that's improved enamal or just temporary lubrication, so we'll see. I'm going to continue for at least two weeks.

I have also heard of people who go so far as to not brush their teeth at all! They take certain supplements and eat live foods. I have had a hard time researching that but I will continue and see. At the very least, I am going to look into making your own toothpaste and maintaining proper diet. I will continue tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. If you have a family dentist in your area, you should feel comfortable with him or her. In addition, they should be able to treat all oral problems efficiently and effectively. Your dentist in farmington CT should take time to answer any questions or concerns that you might have regarding your oral health. When you visit them, be sure to have your mouth cleaned before or after any dental work. Finally, be sure that you follow all of your dentist's instructions regarding the pre-dental, post-dental and emergency care so that you can enjoy a smile that lasts a lifetime.
    Orthodontist farmington

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an experienced team of dentists in Brookline, MA.
    Since there are many dental problems that you can have if you are not having the right kind of dental services, you should think of having your teeth cleaned and repaired as early as possible.
    It would be best if you visited us at once to treat and improve your teeth immediately.
    dentist in brookline ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. An emergency dentist is a highly trained professional who can respond quickly to dental emergencies in an immediate fashion.
    A dentist with an emergency response program is able to provide immediate care and treatment of a wide range of dental problems.
    This includes root canal therapy, filling crowns and bridges, gum reshaping, root canal treatment, extractions, orthodontic braces, and even surgery. Your family doctor or general dentist can provide routine preventative care and guidance, but they cannot guarantee that your teeth will not suffer from inevitable problems such as tooth decay and cavities.
    emergency dentist brunswick

    ReplyDelete